Thursday, November 5, 2009

film schoolin'

Kay, Ryan and I went to the Nick for the first (of hopefully many) installment of a local short film screening. I am sure there have been some in the past, but I have not attended any. Although the event was free, I would have gladly handed over a few bones to see these homegrown shorts.

I favored the mockumentary-esque films which teetered on the edge of being serious. Case in point:
Buffer Zone, which expressed the plight of a Food Lion employee who does not get due respect from waxing and polishing floors. The subject's dead-pan delivery of the unfairness in supermarket heiarchy actually made me feel empathy, if only for, like, a second. Another film, Unfettering the Falcons, brings to surface how wrong we are in referring to all falcons as, well, falcons. It turns out that only female falcons should be categorized as such while the male version is actually a tercel . I guess you really do learn something new every day.

My absolute favorite though, was
Canimorphs, if only for the intro.

No comments: