Wednesday, December 23, 2009

ze liszt

I used to make Winter Solstice/Holiday mixes for friends in high school. Obviously, I no longer do this and since many of my friends are DJs, I see no real need to continue this tradition as we all share most of the same music. That...and I am incredibly intimidated by their already impeccable tastes. With this brought to surface, the end of a year often brings forth an onslaught of "BEST OF" lists from anyone willing to press their opinion into frontal lobes everywhere. Here I am, typin' on my blog (it's the wave of the future, donchaknow), trying to achieve both. Hell, I could kill two cyber birds with a single stone and attach some sort of MP3 to the list, but alas, I am not that skilled. Not to mention that most-if not all-of these bands have MySpace pages. However, If you would like a mix cd full of love, I would be more than happy to do make you one! I also have Holiday cards without a loving refrigerator or bulletin board to call their own.

These are the 2009 songs I listened to death this year, in no particular order. For the most part, I have a pretty equal love for all songs. If your interest has been peaked:

Abe Vigoda, Don't Lie: I do not have much of an opinion for this song except that it is just really, really good. When this album went MIA from the WUSC library a few months ago, it felt like a tiny piece of me also went missing. I have a weird emotional attachment to this song and that is all I am going to say about that.

The Horrors, Sea Within a Sea and Who Can Say: I used to be so ashamed to like this band but, really, their new album is fucking amazing and uhhhh have you seen their cameo in the January 2010 Vogue? Aren't they just the cutest and make you wish you had been less cruel to the Hot Topic boys at your high school? Yeah, me neither.

Vivian Girls, Can't Get Over You: Everything about this song is just spot-on and perfect.

Animal Collective, Brother Sport: I thought my list was going to be the only 2009 music list sans AnCo, and then I heard this song.

Hornet Leg, Wait
Penelope, Licked By Love
Bishop Allen, Shanghaied

K
ing Khan & BBQ Show, Tastebuds: this song is pretty raunchy (about as catchy as the STI's it evokes...), but still pretty awesome. Invisible Girl, for when I don't want to admit that Tastebuds was really my favorite from the album.

LeLoup, Sherpa:
the introduction is incredible and will have you setting choreography in your mind.

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart: the entire album all the time.
Crystal Stilts, Crystal Stilts
Bird Names: People Should Get More Aware and Nature's Over

The Dutchess & The Duke
, Hands : Folksy male/female duo from Portland. My friend Brittany suggested Dutchess/Duke and when I saw them in rotation at the station I immediately listened. You should, too.

Edward Sharpe & Magnetic Zeros
: 40 Day Dream and Home: they look and sound like something my mother would like. This must mean I should peruse her music more often and get over that she likes Garth Brooks.

Dreamdate, Tables, 8 Sleeves, Best Friends: really the entire album is very good.

Darlings
, Gorilla: The chorus is one of the sing-along-iest I have heard all year, not to mention their 'zine-style CD case instantly had me hooked.

I anxiously await 2010's arrival. Things are going to be different, better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally spurred you into writing this entry because i am more than "willing to press [my] opinion into frontal lobes everywhere." go me. also, if you want to send me a holiday card and a mix cd full of love to my utah abode, then that would be sweet.

Ivory Woods said...

i am waiting on a card. also wouldn't mind a nice mix to go with it...

p.s. i need to give you your present.

p.s.s. i am watching roseanne right now.