Thursday, June 11, 2009

smitten kitten

As I was leaving for class this morning, I happened upon a stray cat-most likely no more than a few months old-comfortably sitting on our doorstep. I shrieked with a girlish glee as I gingerly picked up the tiny thing; which, I am sure was not a good idea, lest I wanted to risk rabies. Although I am not too keen on the feline breed, I am almost certain this particular cat is a Calico. The soft but defined light and dark toffee spots and cream backdrop perfectly suit its citrine-and-lime eyes. Feeling the delicate spine and visible set of ribs, I insisted Adrian get some of my Salmon for him. Adrian took one of those lids to a blank CD stack (which had also served as a makeshift (h)ashtray) to put the small meal in. Before Adrian could open the pack, the small creature mewed with a great need-this must have been the first real intentional meal received since birth. The hungry kitten devoured his Chicken of the Sea in seconds, and I implored for Adrian get a second packet to give the malnourished animal, which we named Sam. Short for Salmon. Sam is also a gender-neutral name and since we have not investigated in that department yet, we opted for an identity which could suit both sexes.

After returning home from class, I eagerly searched our porch, almost sure I would find a napping Sam beneath the futon. My search party was in vain as I did not happen upon our makeshift pet. I hope he comes back and he probably will as I am going to the Food Lion (how apt) for Fancy Feast.

2 comments:

ayoungpioneer said...

calico's are mostly female.

Jordan said...

if the "leave a mouse a cookie" theory holds true, in a few days sam will want a t bone dinner.